- MS – Word is a word processor developed by Microsoft.
- A word document file can contain formatted text, images, tables, graphs, charts, page formatting, colouring a text, highlighting text and print settings.
- The main use of Microsoft word is that users can type with and save those documents, as it is a graphical word processing.
- These are helpful in large scale as well as in small-scale industries which in the past were documented in papers.
Interface elements of MS – Word
Let us discuss the interface elements of MS – Word:
The interface elements are:
- Window manipulation buttons – these buttons are used to change the size of the screen usually to minimize, maximize or close a window.
- Title Bar – We can see the name of the document along with extension (.docx) and a program name.
- Tabs – these are options available on MS – word for formatting and adding value to any document.
Page Layout View
- Toolbars –
- There are a few commands that are hidden.
- The additional options are displayed by clicking on the arrow in their lower right corner.
- Few options will be greyed out denoting that tools cannot be applied to a selected object.
- Desktop – Area or space where we can type text, insert an object etc.
- Insertion point – It is a position in the document where the cursor is flashing.
- Horizontal and vertical navigation bars (sliders) – This helps to slide through the documents.
- Status Bar – This displays information about the current insertion point position in a document.
- Rulers – include a horizontal and a vertical ruler located above and to the left of the interface.
Select & delete text on MS - Word
Prior to text formatting, first, you have to select it.
Selecting a text: To select a text, click on the text by holding the left mouse button and move the mouse from the beginning to the end of the text then release the left mouse button.
Select a word: To select a word double-click the left mouse button.
Select one sentence: Press Ctrl + down arrow anywhere in a sentence.
Select a paragraph: We can double-click the left mouse button on the left margin space or triple click the left mouse button anywhere in a paragraph.
Deleting letter by letter: Press the Delete key as it deletes text that is located to the right of the cursor’s position; the Backspace key - deletes text located to the left of the cursor.
Fast delete: Select all the desired text to be deleted and press the delete key.
- In order to undo the changes that you have done on the word document, you can click on this icon to undo the same or you can also press Ctrl + Z.
- In order to redo the changes that you have done on the word document, you can click on this icon to redo the same or you can also press Ctrl + Y.
To copy & move text within an open document
Copy / Paste:
- Select the text that you want to copy
- Copy the selected text by using the Copy tool or by pressing the keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + C
- Place the cursor on the place where you want the text to be copied
- Paste the copied text by using the Paste tool or by pressing the keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + V
Cut / Paste:
- Select text that you want to cut
- Cut the selected text by using the Cut tool or by pressing the keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + X
- Place the cursor on the place where you want to move the text
- Paste the text by using the Paste tool or by pressing the keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + V
The File menu allows you the following actions:
Create a new document: New > Blank document > Create or by pressing the keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + N
Open an existing document: You can open a document by using the open command or by pressing the keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + O
Open more than one document: You can open more documents by using the Ctrl key for adjacent files or the Shift key for non-adjacent files
Save a document: To save any document, use the save key or by pressing the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + S
- When the file is saved for the first time, the Save As dialog box appears with the following fields:
- Save in – enter the location of the folder where the document will be saved File name – type in the file name
- Save as type – you can choose the file type in which your file will be saved for example MS Word 2010 .docx
Print a document:
- Printer: Select the printer which will be used for printing
- Page range:
- Current page
- Pages – enter the page number to print
Portrait (vertical paper) and Landscape (horizontal paper)
The Home tab includes the following tools:
- Font is the different letter types: Times New Roman, Verdana, Ariel, Calibri etc.
- Font Size is the size of the font size, we can enter a value or choose any size from a drop-down menu
- Text formatting to align the text
- Bold - Ctrl + B Italic - Ctrl + I Underline - Ctrl + U
- Font effects this adds effect to the fonts
Strikethrough: add some text ;
Subscript: H20 > H2O;
Superscript: 5 m2 > 5 m2
- Text Effects tool adds different text effects to the text such as Shadow or Reflection.
- Text Highlight colour tool is used to highlight the text with a colour.
- Shading tool is used to fill colour to the text background.
- Borders tool is used to set different types of borders around the selected text.
- Font colour tool is used to change the colour of letters from colour palette.
- Lists tool includes bullets and numbering to add the text pointwise.
- Text alignment tool is used to align the text.
- Left (keyboard shortcut: Ctrl +L)
- Center (keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + E)
- Right (keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + R)
- Justify (keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + J)
- Line Spacing tool is used to set the distance between the lines.
- Show / Hide tool is used to show or hide various formatting symbols.
- Search tool – is used to find a certain word from the text.
- Click the Find command, enter the term you are looking for in the Find what text box and press Find
Find What – type in a word or phrase that you want to replace
Replace With – type in a word or a phrase which you want to replace the existing word or phrase with
- Format Painter tool is used to copy formatting from one part of the text to another.
- By pressing MS Word Help or by pressing the F1 key on the keyboard we can access MS Word help.
The Insert tab includes the following tools:
- Page Break - this helps to remove a page break.
- Header and Footer
- To edit a header or a footer: press the right mouse button on a header/ footer area and choose the Edit command
- To exit a header/footer field: double-click the left mouse button on the Word desktop
- Insert a field: Quick Parts > Field. In Field types: page number, date, time, author etc.
- Page Number choose a position which can be top of a page or bottom of a page
- Alignment: the text can be centered, left or right angle of the page
- Tables tool inserts a table within a document. Choose the Table tool > press the Insert Table command > enter the number of rows and columns.
- Pictures tool - select a picture by clicking on it with a left mouse button, these images can be wrapped and aligned by setting the size and position.
- Insert symbol to edit mathematical or relational values € £ © ∞ ≠ " H Y ^ ¯ ü J
Page layout tab
The tools on the Page Layout tab are:
- Margins: This gives a document a proper format by choosing one of the pre-determent margins with regards to height and width.
- Orientation: This view can either be portrait and landscape.
- Size tools: Allows you to set the size of the paper.
- Page borders: We can choose different types and sizes of lines that you can be applied as a page border.
- Indent: It indents a row
With the help of this option, the edited document can be shared across to multiple recipients via email.
To create a circular letter: Follow the instruction as shown in the above image: Start Mail Merge > start Step by Step Mail Merge Wizard
1) Select a document type for your mail merge – It can be a letter, email, envelope, etc.
- Select a starting document – Select the document or template which you would like to share.
- Select Recipient – This is to choose the list of recipients, it can either from existing list or create a new contact.
- Arrange your directory – On adding a new recipient information we can also add address block, greetings etc.
- Preview your directory – You can also edit recipients list
- Finally, you can complete the merge.
The Review tab is used for the following actions:
- Words will be underlined in red, wavy lines to denote that they are misspelled.
- You can change Settings: Language > Set Proofing Language
- Then the Spelling and Grammar tool opens a dialog box with the following options: Ignore once, Ignore all, Change, Change all
- In case if a word is not in the dictionary you can add it: select the desired word, right-click it and choose to Add to dictionary
The following tools are located on the View tab:
- Print Layout view – is the most commonly used view as it shows how the text and various objects on a printed page are distributed.
- Full-Screen Reading view – is adjusted for reading a document.
- Web Layout view – is used for creating a website.
- Outline view – helps in displaying the structure of the document and also facilitates text editing.
- Draft view displays – a document as a draft, certain elements such as headers are not displayed
- Zoom view – lets you choose or enter various values.
Overview of MS - Word
- MS – Word is a word processor developed by Microsoft that can contain formatted text, images, tables, graphs, charts, page formatting, coloring a text, highlighting text and print settings.
Interface elements of MS – Word
- Window manipulation buttons
- Title Bar
- Insertion point
- Horizontal and vertical navigation bars (sliders)
- Status Bar
Select & delete text on MS – Word
- To select and delete the text on the document
To copy & move text within an open document
- To modify the text or duplicate the text on the document
- This helps in opening a new document or reopening the saved ones.
- This is where the text can be edited in the blank space and aligned.
- To add a page break, page number on the document
Page layout tab
- To determine the page orientation and size of the page.
- To share the documents via email to recipients either from the contact list or by adding contacts
- To check spelling and for the proofreading
- To mainly check for the print preview